Important information for visa holders in Australia
Visa holders in Australia
Staying in Australia
You must apply for a new visa before your current visa expires. You may be eligible to be granted a bridging visa that will keep you lawful until a decision is made on your visa application.
No further stay condition (includes 8503, 8534 and 8535)
This means you can't apply for most other visas until you leave Australia. If your visa has less than 2 months validity remaining you can request to waive this condition. If your request is approved, you can make a new visa application.
Complying with visa conditions
- Can't provide additional information due to office closure (Health or Police clearances, Biometrics, English Language Testing)? - You will be given additional time to complete checks and provide requested information.
- Can't return to Australia before your visa expires and want to return? - You will need to apply for a new visa once the travel restrictions are lifted.
- Can't complete Australian Study Requirement or periods of stay under the regional initiatives for Temporary graduate visa holders? – The Department of Home Affairs is looking at concessions on a case-by-case basis.
Students who are in Australia
Information about working in Australia
- Australia’s major supermarkets will temporarily be able to offer more hours to international student employees to help keep shelves stocked.
- International students are also allowed to work flexible hours to fill critical staff shortages in aged care.
- Student visa holders already enrolled in nursing can undertake work to help and support the health effort against COVID-19 as directed by health officials. There will not be any enforcement action regarding student nurses working in these circumstances.
Information about the studies in Australia
- Students unable to return to Australia to continue their studies may need to have their study deferred. This will not affect their visa status.
- Where a student requires additional time to complete their studies (beyond their visa expiry) they will:
- need to apply for a new student visa and
- will require a new Confirmation of Enrolment.
IMPORTANT - Student visas can’t be extended. The student will need to apply for a new visa.
Bridging visa holders
If your Bridging visa expires and you are outside Australia, you will need to apply for another visa.
IMPORTANT - Bridging visas cannot be granted if you are outside Australia.
Source of information: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/current-alerts/novel-coronavirus
VisAustralia still open and working at full throttle
VisAustralia, like the Department of Home Affairs, is continuing to work at full throttle.
We are keen to push the applications of our overseas based clients forward and ensure visas are granted in the shortest possible time. This on-going work will allow you to move to Australia as soon as the travel ban is lifted.
We are also keen to assist people facing visa issues in Australia because of the travel ban. If your visa is expiring, or you have other questions about the impact of the ban on your visa process, please do not hesitate to contact VisAustralia.
We want to reiterate that the travel ban is a short-term measure not related to the process of applying for a visa under the Migration Act 1958. The Australian migration program has a long and stable history and visa processing system will continue. People will continue to be able to migrate to Australia and study in Australia. The closure of the border represents a short-term policy response to what we all hope is a short term health issue.