About working in Australia
Before you start looking for a job in Australia, it's important to have the right visa that will allow you to work. Not all visas will automatically give you the right to work in Australia, and some may have conditions attached.
1. Finding a job in Australia
The Australian labour market can be very competitive. How quickly you can find a job in Australia depends on your qualifications, skills, the type of work you are seeking, demand for employees, level of English, etc. It is important for you to keep in mind that the approval to migrate, permanent residency and/or citizenship do not guarantee you a job.
You can get an idea of what jobs are available by looking on Australian job websites such as:
These websites can also give you an idea of what salary is paid and how this can vary by experience and job type.
2. Applying for a job in Australia
When you find a job vacancy that is suitable, the advertisement will tell you how to apply for the position and the name of a person to contact for more details. Your application will usually require:
- a cover letter stating the position you wish to apply for and why you should be considered for the position based on your skills, experience and qualifications
- a resume showing your personal details (name, address, phone numbers, email address etc), skills, previous jobs and experience, education and qualifications
- copies of references from previous employers, or their contact details
- copies of educational and trade certificates relevant to the job
3. Tax file numbers and tax in Australia
All workers in Australia are required to pay tax to fund programs and services such as roads, schools and hospitals. The amount of tax you'll pay will depend on how much you earn. You can find out more about how tax works and the different tax rates at http://www.ato.gov.au/
You'll also need a Tax File Number (TFN). This is a number unique to you to identify your tax records and is required to work in Australia. To find out how to apply for one visit http://www.ato.gov.au/
Looking for permanent residency in Australia? Contact Visaustralia migration lawyers for hassle free migration process.