Family Sponsored Visa (Subclass 491)
The Subclass 491 visa is a points-tested provisional visa for skilled workers who have an occupation on the Medium and Long Term Occupations List and who have a family member living in regional Australia who is able to sponsor.
With this visa, you can
- live and work in regional Australia for five years;
- enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare;
- study at Australian schools and universities;
- apply for a permanent visa after three years;
- travel in and out of Australia without restriction.
- make a valid application for a subclass 820 (Partner) visa;
- be granted one of the following visas:
Pathways to Permanent Residence
After three years of living and working in regional Australia and earning a minimum income of $53,900 per year, you can apply for a permanent Subclass 191 visa. During the first three years you hold the Subclass 491 visa you cannot:
Subclass 132 (Business Talent);
Subclass 186 (Employer Nomination Scheme);
Subclass 188 (Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional));
Subclass 189 (Skilled (Independent));
Subclass 190 (Skilled (Nominated));
Subclass 858 (Distinguished talent).
You may be able to apply for a Family Sponsored Subclass 491 visa if you meet the following requirements:
- are under 45 years of age;
- have a skilled occupation on the Medium and Long Term Occupations List;
- can demonstrate ‘Competent English’;
- have a positive skills assessment from the skills assessing authority for your nominated occupation;
- have 65 points on the visa points test;
- are invited to apply for the visa under SkillSelect;
- are sponsored by an eligible relative living in regional Australia;
- meet health and character requirements.
- 18 years old or older;
- usually resident in regional Australia;
- an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- a parent;
- a child or step-child;
- a brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step-brother or step-sister;
- an aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle;
- a nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step-nephew or step-niece;
- a grandparent; or
- a first cousin.
Sponsorship by an eligible relative
To sponsor you your relative must be:
An eligible relative can be:
Processing times are indicative only and may vary depending on individual circumstances or government policy. The latest processing times published by the Department of Home Affairs are as follows:
- 75% of applications: 10 months
- 90% of applications: 11 months
The visa costs AUD$4,115 for the main applicant. There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you:
- Partner/spouse or additional applicant 18 years old or older: AUD$2,055
- Children under 18: AUD$1,030
To verify the cost of your visa please use the Visa Pricing Estimator.
Adults over 18 years old who have less than functional English will need to pay an additional fee for English classes after arriving in Australia. The second instalment charge for family members is AUD$4,885.
The Visa Pricing Estimator does not include the cost of applying for accreditation, English exams, translations, state nomination, police certificates, health checks, or professional fees associated with making your application.