The Skilled visa program allows people with qualifications and work experience in demand in Australia to migrate to Australia permanently.

There are a number of different kinds of Skilled visa including the Provisional State Nominated Subclass 491 visa.

To be eligible for a Subclass 491 visa you need to be over 18 and under 45 years old, have reasonable English, be accredited in an occupation in demand in Australia, be nominated by a state government, and pass the visa points test. On being nominated by a state government you will be automatically invited to apply for the visa under SkillSelect

The SkillSelect system allows the Australian Government to manage who can apply for a visa. Under SkillSelect, the Australian Government automatically invites candidates to a apply for a Skilled visa who are nominated by a state government.

With a Subclass 491 visa you and your family are entitled to live and work in regional Australia for five years. You can work in any occupation, study at Australian schools and universities, access public hospitals and free health services, buy a house, and travel between Australia and your country. The entitlements reflect the genuine desire on the part of the Australian Government to open the benefits of citizenship to those who choose to migrate to Australia.

After living and working in regional Australia for three years and earning a minimum income of $53,900 per year, you can apply for a permanent Subclass 191 visa. After living in Australia for four years you can apply for Australian citizenship and a passport. You will not have to give up your original citizenship but can become a dual citizen of Australia and your country.

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491)

The Subclass 491 visa is a points-tested provisional visa for skilled workers who have any occupation on Australia鈥檚 Skilled Occupations List and who are nominated by a state government.

With this visa, you can

  • live and work in regional Australia for five years;
  • enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare;
  • study at Australian schools and universities;
  • apply for a permanent visa after three years;
  • travel in and out of Australia without restriction.
  • Pathways to Permanent Residence

    After three years of living and working in regional Australia and earning a minimum income of $53,900 per year, you can apply for a permanent Subclass 191 visa. During the first three years you hold the Subclass 491 visa you cannot:

    • make a valid application for a subclass 820 (Partner) visa;
    • be granted one of the following visas:
    • Subclass 132 (Business Talent);
      Subclass 186 (Employer Nomination Scheme);
      Subclass 188 (Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional));
      Subclass 189 (Skilled (Independent));
      Subclass 190 (Skilled (Nominated));
      Subclass 858 (Distinguished talent).

You may be able to apply for a Subclass 491 visa if you meet the following requirements:

  • You must be under 45 when you receive an invitation to apply;
  • Your occupation must be on the list of eligible skilled occupations;
  • You must have a positive skills assessment for the occupation;
  • You must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply for this visa;
  • You must be nominated by a state or territory government agency;
  • You must score a minimum of 65 points to be invited to apply;
  • You must provide evidence of at least competent English;
  • You must meet the health and character requirements.

Processing times are indicative only and may vary depending on individual circumstances or government policy. The latest processing times published by the Department of Home Affairs are as follows:

  • 75% of applications: 7 months
  • 90% of applications: 9 months

The visa costs AUD$4,115 for the main applicant. There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you:

  • Partner/spouse or additional applicant 18 years old or older: AUD$2,055
  • Children under 18: AUD$1,030
  • To verify the cost of your visa please use the Visa Pricing Estimator.

    Adults over 18 years old who have less than functional English will need to pay an additional fee for English classes after arriving in Australia. The second instalment charge for family members is AUD$4,885.


    The Visa Pricing Estimator does not include the cost of applying for accreditation, English exams, translations, state nomination, police certificates, health checks, or professional fees associated with making your application.

To discover whether you are eligible for Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491), we invite you to book a consultation with one of our expert migration lawyers.

Speak to an Expert

Strategic, Comprehensive, Definitive

Book a Consult

client Testimonial

  • positive review  Investing and getting positive returns is all I ever wanted and am glad I found it. Thanks MR KEVIN MCCARTHYCRYPTO for your great skills of mining and trading in my account, very diligent in his work. All I did was invest $700 and within 7days he made $9,600 profit for me. Contact MR KEVIN MCCARTHYCRYPTO via Email: kenvinmccarthycrypto72@gmail.com WhatsApp 1 (726) 268_3019

    Juliet Pretty Avatar Juliet Pretty
    March 27, 2022

    positive review  I completely recommend them, they are very professional, have years of experience and since we got in contact them, they gave us all the information about our case. Covid haven't made easy any process but the lawyers were always available to respond our questions and follow all the process.

    Stephani Herrera Avatar Stephani Herrera
    February 28, 2022

    positive review  I would highly recommend VisAustralia to anyone who need assistance and genuine support throughout their visa applications. Nicholas and Rubel you guys are amazing and because of you both my friend and her husband they have finally got their Australian Permanent Residency. Thank you so much for making the whole process so smooth and easy. keep up the good work VisAustralia 馃憦

    Emma Rodges Avatar Emma Rodges
    February 12, 2022

    positive review  I would definitely recommend Visaustralia, they are a very professional team , always on top of every update on the migratory process, always looking up for the best strategy suitable for my specific case and always keeping a transparent and honest communication Migrate from your country could be a long and sometimes difficult process, I would go trough this journey only with the best, and these guys really are the best. I am very pleased and thankful for their help and support

    Marco Afm Avatar Marco Afm
    August 17, 2021
  • positive review  I highly recomend VisAustralia to anyone looking to migrate to Australia. They guide you from the beginning, searching for the best options according to your personal situation. Thank very much for your guidance and support.

    Ana Luisa Sarabia Avatar Ana Luisa Sarabia
    August 16, 2021

    positive review  VisAustrlia have been fantastic through our entire partner visa application. Very prestigious in their manner with eleagent work ethic. I never waited too long for a reply, which were extremely detailed and easy to manoeuvre. I would 100% recommend Nick and his team their expertise was simply outstanding. Thank you for all your help on my Australian visa process.

    Floinn N铆 Br贸na Avatar Floinn N铆 Br贸na
    June 7, 2021

    positive review  I'd like to thank Nicholas, Rubel, Dominique, Alejandra and everyone on the team to help me and my girlfriend get our PR! If I'm honest, I was a bit sceptical at the very beginning of the engagement as other law firms we contacted before told us that the likelihood of getting a PR (based on our circumstances and visa status) was either low or non-existant. I'm happy to say that I was proven wrong. The VisAustralia team examined in extreme detail our case, always responded in a respectful and relatively fast manner to all of our questions throughout the process. I would not hesitate to recommend VisAustralia services. Thanks again!

    Armando Bret贸n Avatar Armando Bret贸n
    July 22, 2020

    positive review  Thank you to Visaustralia!! It's been a long journey but it wouldn't have been successful without your guidance and support. Your team is professional, friendly and very patient, they were always available to reply my queries and to provide outcomes. Thanks to Nicholas who found the correct pathway and made it possible for us to stay in Australia. Thanks to Rubel and specially to Cristina who was amazing during all the stress of the application process. We are very happy with your work and we will certainly recommend Visaustralia to everybody!!

    Maria Florencia Jaccard Avatar Maria Florencia Jaccard
    May 8, 2020