Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491)
The Subclass 491 visa is a points-tested provisional visa for skilled workers who have any occupation on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List and who are nominated by a state government.
With this visa, you can
- live and work in regional Australia for five years;
- enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare;
- study at Australian schools and universities;
- apply for a permanent visa after three years;
- travel in and out of Australia without restriction.
- make a valid application for a subclass 820 (Partner) visa;
- be granted one of the following visas:
Pathways to Permanent Residence
After three years of living and working in regional Australia and earning a minimum income of $53,900 per year, you can apply for a permanent Subclass 191 visa. During the first three years you hold the Subclass 491 visa you cannot:
Subclass 132 (Business Talent);
Subclass 186 (Employer Nomination Scheme);
Subclass 188 (Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional));
Subclass 189 (Skilled (Independent));
Subclass 190 (Skilled (Nominated));
Subclass 858 (Distinguished talent).
You may be able to apply for a Subclass 491 visa if you meet the following requirements:
- You must be under 45 when you receive an invitation to apply;
- Your occupation must be on the list of eligible skilled occupations;
- You must have a positive skills assessment for the occupation;
- You must lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply for this visa;
- You must be nominated by a state or territory government agency;
- You must score a minimum of 65 points to be invited to apply;
- You must provide evidence of at least competent English;
- You must meet the health and character requirements.
Processing times are indicative only and may vary depending on individual circumstances or government policy. The latest processing times published by the Department of Home Affairs are as follows:
- 75% of applications: 7 months
- 90% of applications: 9 months
The visa costs AUD$4,115 for the main applicant. There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you:
- Partner/spouse or additional applicant 18 years old or older: AUD$2,055
- Children under 18: AUD$1,030
To verify the cost of your visa please use the Visa Pricing Estimator.
Adults over 18 years old who have less than functional English will need to pay an additional fee for English classes after arriving in Australia. The second instalment charge for family members is AUD$4,885.
The Visa Pricing Estimator does not include the cost of applying for accreditation, English exams, translations, state nomination, police certificates, health checks, or professional fees associated with making your application.