A Visitor Visa allows you to come to Australia to have a holiday, visit friends and family, or to undertake short-term business activities.

You cannot work in Australia while holding a Visitor visa.

With a Visitor visa you can study for up to three months, purchase property, volunteer, and work online if it is incidental to a holiday. A Visitor visa can be granted for three, six, or twelve months. In some cases, the Department may impose a restrictive condition, which prevents the holder from applying for further visas from within Australia. If this is not the case, you can apply for another kind of visa from within Australia, including a Partner visa, Humanitarian visa, Student visa or Skilled visa.

In some cases it is strategic to come to Australia on a Visitor visa and apply for another visa from within Australia.

There are three kinds of Visitor visa depending on your nationality. These are the Subclass 600 Visitor visa, the Subclass 601 – Electronic Travel Authority, and the Subclass 651 – eVisitor. The main differences between these visas is how you apply and the evidence you need to submit with your application.

More information about these visas is set out below.

Visitor visa (Subclass 600)

The Subclass 600 Visitor visa allows you to visit Australia as a tourist, to visit friends or family, or undertake short term business activities. There are different streams of the Visitor visa including the Tourist Stream, the Business Visitor Stream, Sponsored Family Stream, and Chinese Visitor Streams.

Popular Visitor Visa Streams

  • Tourist Stream:
    This visa stream allows you to travel to Australia for a holiday, to visit family and friends or for purposes other than business or medical treatment. You can apply for the visa from inside or outside Australia. If you apply from within Australia you will receive a bridging visa and have review rights if your application is refused. The visa may be granted for up to 12 months.
  • Business Visitor stream:
    Business visitor activities include making a general business or employment enquiry, investigating, negotiating, entering into, or reviewing a business contract, undertaking an activity as part of an official government to government visit, or participate in a conference, trade fair or seminar in Australia. The visa may be granted for up to three months.

To apply for a Subclass 600 Visitor visa, you must:

  • have access to enough money to support yourself while you are in Australia
  • be a genuine visitor and intend to come to Australia only for the purpose of the Visitor visa
  • intend to stay temporarily in Australia
  • complete bio-metric identity testing in some cases
  • meet health and character requirements in some cases

Visitor visas are frequently refused particularly if you are from a poor country or there is civil unrest. You need to be very careful to present information showing you have sufficient funds for the visit, intend to visit for the purpose of the visa and for the period of the visa grant, and that you intend to return to your country at the end of the visit.

Processing times are indicative only and may vary depending on individual circumstances or government policy.

The latest processing times published by the Department of Home Affairs are as follows:

  • 75% of applications in 2 month
  • 90% of applications in 9 months.

Apply in Australia

Eligible applicants can apply for this visa in Australia. If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the Department of Home Affairs decides on your application.

You can apply for a new visa if your visa does not have a condition that prevents further stay, such as condition 8503. You might be able to request a waiver of the no further stay condition in some circumstances.

The visa costs from AUD$365 for each applicant.

Apply outside Australia

The visa costs from AUD$145 for each applicant.

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not include other costs you might also have to pay such as those for police certificates, health checks, biometrics, and professional fees to get assistance with the visa application process from an immigration lawyer/agent.

Electronic Travel Authority visa (ETA) (Subclass 601)

The Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601) is an electronic travel visa that is linked to your passport and designed only for tourism and business visitor purposes.

With this visa you can

Travel to Australia:

  • as a tourist – for example, to cruise or have a holiday
  • to visit family or friends
  • as a business visitor.

You can study or train for up to 3 months in total on this visa. But if your main reason for travelling to Australia is study, a student visa might be more appropriate.

To be eligible to apply for an ETA you must:

  • hold a passport from one of these countries:

    Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong (SAR of China), Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Norway, Portugal, Republic of San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (excluding official or diplomatic passports), The Netherlands, United Kingdom—British Citizen, United Kingdom—British National (Overseas), United States of America, Vatican City.

  • be a genuine visitor and intend to stay in Australia temporarily
  • meet health and character requirements.

Processing time for this visa is not available.

The ETA is free. There is an online application service cost of AUD$20.

eVisitor visa (Subclass 651)

The eVisitor visa allows individuals to visit Australia for business visitor purposes and stay in Australia for up to 3 months at a time within the 12-month time frame.

To apply for eVisitor visa, you must hold a passport from one of the eligible countries.

An eVisitor visa is stored electronically, which can be accessed by airlines, travel agents as well as by the Australian border agencies. You must be outside Australia while applying for this visa type.

You may be eligible for an eVisitor if you:

  • want to visit Australia as a tourist or for business purposes are outside Australia
  • are from the eligible countries
  • are free of tuberculosis when you enter Australia
  • do not have any conviction for which the total sentence is more than 12 months (whether the sentence has been served).

Eligible Countries

You must be a citizen of and hold a valid passport from one of these countries to be eligible for the eVisitor:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Republic of San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican City.

Processing times are indicative only and may vary depending on individual circumstances or government policy. The latest processing times published by the Department of Home Affairs are as follows:

90% of applications: 85 days.

The eVisitor is free.

To discover whether you are eligible for Visitor visa, we invite you to book a consultation with one of our expert migration lawyers.

Speak to an Expert

Strategic, Comprehensive, Definitive

Book a Consult

client Testimonial

  • positive review  Investing and getting positive returns is all I ever wanted and am glad I found it. Thanks MR KEVIN MCCARTHYCRYPTO for your great skills of mining and trading in my account, very diligent in his work. All I did was invest $700 and within 7days he made $9,600 profit for me. Contact MR KEVIN MCCARTHYCRYPTO via Email: kenvinmccarthycrypto72@gmail.com WhatsApp 1 (726) 268_3019

    Juliet Pretty Avatar Juliet Pretty
    March 27, 2022

    positive review  I completely recommend them, they are very professional, have years of experience and since we got in contact them, they gave us all the information about our case. Covid haven't made easy any process but the lawyers were always available to respond our questions and follow all the process.

    Stephani Herrera Avatar Stephani Herrera
    February 28, 2022

    positive review  I would highly recommend VisAustralia to anyone who need assistance and genuine support throughout their visa applications. Nicholas and Rubel you guys are amazing and because of you both my friend and her husband they have finally got their Australian Permanent Residency. Thank you so much for making the whole process so smooth and easy. keep up the good work VisAustralia 👏

    Emma Rodges Avatar Emma Rodges
    February 12, 2022

    positive review  I would definitely recommend Visaustralia, they are a very professional team , always on top of every update on the migratory process, always looking up for the best strategy suitable for my specific case and always keeping a transparent and honest communication Migrate from your country could be a long and sometimes difficult process, I would go trough this journey only with the best, and these guys really are the best. I am very pleased and thankful for their help and support

    Marco Afm Avatar Marco Afm
    August 17, 2021
  • positive review  I highly recomend VisAustralia to anyone looking to migrate to Australia. They guide you from the beginning, searching for the best options according to your personal situation. Thank very much for your guidance and support.

    Ana Luisa Sarabia Avatar Ana Luisa Sarabia
    August 16, 2021

    positive review  VisAustrlia have been fantastic through our entire partner visa application. Very prestigious in their manner with eleagent work ethic. I never waited too long for a reply, which were extremely detailed and easy to manoeuvre. I would 100% recommend Nick and his team their expertise was simply outstanding. Thank you for all your help on my Australian visa process.

    Floinn Ní Bróna Avatar Floinn Ní Bróna
    June 7, 2021

    positive review  I'd like to thank Nicholas, Rubel, Dominique, Alejandra and everyone on the team to help me and my girlfriend get our PR! If I'm honest, I was a bit sceptical at the very beginning of the engagement as other law firms we contacted before told us that the likelihood of getting a PR (based on our circumstances and visa status) was either low or non-existant. I'm happy to say that I was proven wrong. The VisAustralia team examined in extreme detail our case, always responded in a respectful and relatively fast manner to all of our questions throughout the process. I would not hesitate to recommend VisAustralia services. Thanks again!

    Armando Bretón Avatar Armando Bretón
    July 22, 2020

    positive review  Thank you to Visaustralia!! It's been a long journey but it wouldn't have been successful without your guidance and support. Your team is professional, friendly and very patient, they were always available to reply my queries and to provide outcomes. Thanks to Nicholas who found the correct pathway and made it possible for us to stay in Australia. Thanks to Rubel and specially to Cristina who was amazing during all the stress of the application process. We are very happy with your work and we will certainly recommend Visaustralia to everybody!!

    Maria Florencia Jaccard Avatar Maria Florencia Jaccard
    May 8, 2020