Resident Return visa (RRV)
How long this visa lasts
Travel validity will vary depending in your circumstances:
- if you have lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 years as a permanent resident, former citizen or former permanent resident, then you meet what is known as the residence requirement and might be given a 5 year travel validity on your visa
- if you have not lived in Australia for 2 years in the last 5 years as a permanent resident or former citizen or former permanent resident, then you might be given a maximum of 12 months travel validity on your visa if you can demonstrate substantial ties that benefit Australia. Check the substantial ties documents that you need to provide under Step by step, Gather your documents
- if you meet the requirements only because you are a member of family unit of a person who holds this visa, then you can only be given a maximum of 12 months travel validity on your visa
- if you don’t meet the requirement, but have compelling and compassionate reasons for departure, then you might only be given 3 months travel validity on your visa.
To discover whether you are eligible to apply for Resident return visa, we invite you to book a consultation with one of our expert migration lawyers.
Processing times vary:
- 75% of applications: 83 days
- 90% of applications: 3 months
- 75% of applications: 4 months
- 90% of applications: 4 months
The visa costs:
- AUD$405 for each applicant if you apply online.
- AUD$485 for each applicant if you apply on paper – unless you are exempt from paying the Non-internet application charge.
To work out how much your visa might cost use the Visa pricing estimator.
The estimator does not consider other costs you might also have to pay such as those for police certificates, health checks, biometrics and professional fees to get assistance with the visa application process from an immigration lawyer/agent.
For more information visit: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au