Victoria (abbreviated as Vic) is a state in southeastern Australia. Victoria is Australia’s second-smallest state, covering 227,600 square kilometres – roughly the size of the British Isles.

A wealth of diverse regions and attractions are packed into this compact area, with sweeping coastlines, pristine beaches and national parks and forests teeming with wildlife, plus wineries, lakes and mountains offering skiing, climbing and hiking. Best of all, many of Victoria’s unique and varied landscapes are easily reached as day trips from Melbourne.


Geelong is a port city located on Corio Bay and the Barwon River, in the state of Victoria, Australia. Geelong is 75 kilometres south-west of the state capital, Melbourne. It is the second largest Victorian city and also Australia’s second fastest growing city.


The City of Greater Geelong population forecast for 2021 is 268,984, and is forecast to grow to 393,216 by 2041.


Geelong has stable weather, yet still offers four distinct seasons.It has a temperate oceanic climate with dominant westerly winds, variable clouds, moderate precipitation, warm summers, and mild to cool winters.

February is the hottest month and July is the coldest. The highest temperature recorded was 47.4 °C (117.3 °F) on 7 February 2009 during a two-week-long heat wave, with the lowest of −4.4 °C (24.1 °F) recorded on 5 August 1997.

Education and living costs

Less than an hour from Melbourne, Greater Geelong offers a range of idyllic lifestyle options. Inner city, coastal, suburban, rural or bay side, there’s something for everyone. It enjoys all the advantages of cosmopolitan city living without the congestion, and a wide mix of attractions from natural bush to spectacular surf beaches, historic townships to cosmopolitan shopping precincts.

Sport, leisure and cultural pursuits abound, while education and health options are plentiful and world-class. And, as you’d expect in such a vibrant region, employment prospects are many and varied.

Spend more time doing the things you love with sporting facilities, shopping and café precincts within arms reach across Geelong.

Private accommodation and utilities

if you take a room in a shared house/unit, you need to consider that, apart from the price of the room, you will be sharing the expenses of the bills, such as electricity, gas and water, and sometimes also Internet. Rental costs in Geelong are generally lower than other cities like Melbourne and Sydney. Private rent ranges from AUD$120 – $150 per week for a single room in a share house. If you prefer to live alone, the average cost to rent a private apartment, unit or house is AUD$250 or more per week.


Transport costs vary depending on where you live and the type of transport you are using. If you travel regularly by public transport you can save money by buying monthly passes.

As an international student you may be eligible for a 50% discount on the price of Myki, with an iUsepass, if your education institution is a participant to the program. Read more here.

Groceries and restaurants

In Geelong there are a wide range of stores where you can buy food. There are many local shops that offer specials on fruits and vegetables weekly and places where you can buy more exclusive products. Cooking at home is the best option for tight budgets. However, you might like to eat out sometimes and Geelong has a place for every pocket and taste.

Phone and Internet

You will need an Australian Sim Card when you arrive and there are many companies that offer different options, like the pre-paid sim card with combos that will give you internet and unlimited national calls and text messages for different prices, depending on how many GB of Data you want to use monthly, or a contract if you don’t want to top up every 28 days. You can find telephone companies in Westfield and Waurn Ponds shopping centres and other locations.

For more information visit:

If you are already living in regional Victoria, and either looking for a job change or currently between jobs, your local council is also a good place to start, as well as the usual job advertisements online or in the media. And, as you are already in the regional area, you have the advantage of knowing local businesses you might be able to target for work.

There are several reasons you might want to work part time or casually while studying in Geelong such as assisting with living expenses and gaining work experience.

Most student visas allow you to work for up to 40 hours (every two weeks) during class semester time, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break. However, before you undertake any paid work you need to check your visa allows it. Find out more at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Industries that may have part time employment opportunities, include:

  • Retail – supermarkets, department and clothing stores
  • Hospitality – cafes, bars and restaurants
  • Tourism – hotels and motels
  • Agricultural – farming and fruit-picking
  • Sales and telemarketing
  • Administration or Clerical roles
  • Tutoring
  • Part time or casual

    • Part-time employees works less than 38 hours per week. Employees working part-time generally work regular hours each week and receive paid annual and sick leave.
    • Casual employees often do not have regular or guaranteed hours. Casual employees do not get paid sick leave or annual leave, so are given a higher pay rate called a ‘casual loading’.
    • For more information visit:

Victoria provides visa nomination to highly skilled professionals, already employed and living in Victoria for the following skilled visas:

Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)

The Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190) is a permanent residency skilled migration visa aimed at professionals already living and working in Victoria with skills that support Victoria’s health response and economic recovery.

To be selected to apply for a Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa nomination, you will need to make or update an EOI via SkillSelect and then submit a Registration of Interest for Victorian Visa Nomination on the Live in Melbourne website. Only those applicants meeting the eligibility requirements will be considered for selection.

Further information about the requirements and steps to register your interest is available on

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)

The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) visa allows points-tested skilled workers and their families to live, study and work in designated regional areas for a period of 5 years.

The subclass 491 is a provisional points-tested visa to assist regional Australia to access the people and skills it needs to grow and thrive. This visa is for people who wish to settle in regional Australia who have skills that are in high demand in Australia’s labour market. This visa is administered by the Department of Home Affairs.

If you are granted a Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) visa, you may be eligible to apply for the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) (subclass 191) visa, which provides permanent residence and the right to live and work anywhere in Victoria. You must meet all the relevant Commonwealth eligibility requirements.

To be selected to apply for a visa nomination under the subclass 491, you will need to make or update an EOI via SkillSelect and then submit a Registration of Interest for Victorian Visa Nomination on the Live in Melbourne website. Only those applicants meeting the eligibility requirements will be considered for selection.

Further information about the requirements and steps to register your interest is available on

To discover whether you are eligible for a Skilled visa to live and work in Geelong (VIC), we invite you to take VisAustralia’s Migration Assessment Tool or to book a consultation with one of our expert migration lawyers.

speak to an expert

Strategic, Comprehensive, Definitive

Book a Consult